American Arizona attracts tourists primarily for its red rocks, mysterious mirages and, of course, located here is the Grand canyon. But the wonders of nature in Arizona is not limited to, some of them even created as a direct result of human activity. For example, lake Powell is rightly considered the most beautiful artificial lake in the world.
Lake Powell, located on the border of Utah and Arizona, was created by the construction of a dam on the Colorado river in the Glen Canyon area. Although the construction of the dam and was met by numerous protests from ecologists and anthropologists, the project was completed on time, namely in 1963.
The shoreline of the lake is 3156 km and by this indicator it is not only a leader in the U.S. among the lakes, but this figure even more than the total length of the American coast of the Pacific ocean!
The maximum width of lake Powell reaches 40 km and depth of about 170 meters. It is of interest that the hydroelectric power station built on the dam, fully supplies electricity to five States of the USA.
Water not only fills Glen Canyon, and about 90 smaller canyons adjacent to it. The best Continue reading
Scientists from Russia, Germany, Switzerland and England are looking at the bottom of lake Baikal responses to questions about how life evolved and changed the climate of Central Asia millions of years ago. Using a special sampler researchers get samples of soil from the bottom of the biggest and purest lake on the planet and build the first conclusions and hypotheses.
With augers or chainsaw scientists know better than a professional fisherman. A few seconds and the surface begins to rise the purest Baikal water. The deepest lake on the planet researchers from Russia, Germany, Switzerland and England, as «our laboratory».
Using a special sampler and a conventional winch, the scientists take samples of soil from the bottom of lake Baikal, which today is the main subject of study. The sediments are a unique archive. According to experts, they can store the entire history of Central Asia. They cover everything from earthquakes to the smallest details of appearance and disappearance of species. Professor of Irkutsk state University Nikolay Budnev explains: «In bottom sediments can be found even pollen, which lived here thousands of years ago, and that Continue reading
Lakes of Russia – one of the national wealth of our country. They can be large and small, freshwater and saline, deep and shallow. Before You five amazing lakes of Russia.
1. Caspian sea — lake, the largest in the world by area and volume of water. K its shores appears five States. The salinity of the most part of the reservoir is about three times smaller than the oceanic, in the North the water is almost fresh.
2. The coastline of the Caspian sea is estimated at about 6500-6700 km, with the Islands — up to 7000 kilometers.
3. In the Caspian sea runs 130 rivers, of which 9 of the rivers have a mouth in the shape of a Delta. Major rivers flowing into the Caspian sea — the Volga, Terek (Russia), Ural, Emba (Kazakhstan), Kura (Azerbaijan), Samur (border of Russia with Azerbaijan), Atrek (Turkmenistan).
4. In the Caspian sea registered 101 species of fish, it is focused the majority of the world’s reserves of sturgeon, as well as freshwater fish such as roach, carp, perch.
5. The main risks for the Caspian sea related to pollution from production and transportation of oil on the continental shelf, the inflow of pollutants from the Volga and other rivers flowing Continue reading