11km NNW of West Yellowstone, Montana
Yellowstone is one of the largest known volcanoes in the world and the largest volcanic system in North America. The volcano is found above an intra plate hot spot that feeding the magma chamber underneath Yellowstone for at least 2 million years.
The giant Caldera is the product of a major collapse of the crust after 3 so-called ultra-plinian or Super-volcano volcanoes – large explosive events that occur several hundred to several thousand cubic km of magma. These eruptions happened 2.1, 1.3 and 0.64 million years ago.
Yellowstone is also the world’s largest hydrothermal system. It contains 182 Geysers, mud pools and fumaroles. The most famous feature in Yellowstone is old faithful geyser.
Future Super-volcano eruptions at Yellowstone?
Yellowstone Magma Chamber is considered to be still active and contain at least 15,000 cubic km of melt.
It can not be excluded and predicted that there will be another Super-volcano eruption at Yellowstone in the future (geological).
In recent years, the Caldera has been studied and monitored more closely. In recent years, Yellowstone demonstrates unrest in the form Continue reading
Lakes of Russia – one of the national wealth of our country. They can be large and small, freshwater and saline, deep and shallow. Before You five amazing lakes of Russia.
1. Caspian sea — lake, the largest in the world by area and volume of water. K its shores appears five States. The salinity of the most part of the reservoir is about three times smaller than the oceanic, in the North the water is almost fresh.
2. The coastline of the Caspian sea is estimated at about 6500-6700 km, with the Islands — up to 7000 kilometers.
3. In the Caspian sea runs 130 rivers, of which 9 of the rivers have a mouth in the shape of a Delta. Major rivers flowing into the Caspian sea — the Volga, Terek (Russia), Ural, Emba (Kazakhstan), Kura (Azerbaijan), Samur (border of Russia with Azerbaijan), Atrek (Turkmenistan).
4. In the Caspian sea registered 101 species of fish, it is focused the majority of the world’s reserves of sturgeon, as well as freshwater fish such as roach, carp, perch.
5. The main risks for the Caspian sea related to pollution from production and transportation of oil on the continental shelf, the inflow of pollutants from the Volga and other rivers flowing Continue reading
Unique tri-colored crater lake of Kelimutu volcano. Discussion on LiveInternet – Russian Service Online Diaries
Kelimutu volcano-a mystical place is lost in the ocean island of Flores, which is rarely visited by tourists because of its remoteness and underdeveloped tourist infrastructure. In the sky, flying over Flores, you can see a bright turquoise spot that stands out against the dark green covering the island. This is one of three crater lakes of Kelimutu, which is closely interwoven with the legends and beliefs of local residents.
Kelimutu lake located in the volcano on the island of Flores (the height of 1639 m.), which belongs to the Small Eastern Indonesian Sunda Islands. The volcano last erupted in 1968, after which no signs of activity. After the eruption the magma was formed trench-colderi, in which water from precipitation forms three lakes.
What is the famous lake Kelimutu? Not even the fact that they are colorful, and the fact that the lake is constantly changing color. For example, the black lake in a few years becomes turquoise, then red, then green. This variability is explained by the presence in water of dissolved minerals of different nature. Chemical reaction between them and lead to dynamic great Kelimutu. Green — is sulfuric and hydrochloric Continue reading